Voices of Social Change crosses the pond to connect with Richard Morris of The Giving Machine in the UK. The Giving Machine is a non-profit social enterprise that help shoppers generate free cash donations for the causes they want to support, every time they shop online. The Giving Machine has over 80,000 users that have made over 1.2 million free donations and uses an affiliate marketing sales commission model to generate those donations. The idea for The Giving Machine was created in 2006 by four Dads in Hertfordshire, England who wanted to use their unique business and technical schools to benefit schools and charities.
Richard discusses his decision to leave his successful career launching tech startups to create a way to encourage giving by making it free. He gives great details about the process of deciding on a model, legal structure, and initial cash funding for The Giving Machine. Richard also talks about how the social purpose has evolved over time to become something bigger than sales referrals generating free donations. Richard shares some HUGE ideas on the economic force of giving and how it is being used to empower commerce.
As you listen to Richard’s story of a homegrown venture transforming into to a national giving movement, ask yourself: “WHAT WILL MY MOVEMENT BE?”
- What Recommendations for someone who wants to start delegating operational activities but currently lacks the funds to do so?
- Ask family and friends if they would use your product/service and if they would like to get involved.
- If you cannot pay them much, make sure you let them be flexible in the when, where and how much they work.
- What is one strategy that is much effective in clarifying a vision:
- You have to live it. You have to share it with other people and let it infuse. Do not focus on the individual roles of people you are bringing on, but talk with them more holistically about the organization’s vision.
- When people are correcting you on your own vision, then you are clarifying vision in the right way and it is bigger than yourself.
- Tell us about your book Givenomics:
- The impact of giving in a commercial model can change the way consumers interact with business, the way businesses achieve social good, and the way charities and causes and can access more support.
- “Money is like Manure, if it sits in huge piles it does not do much, but if you can spread it around it can do more good.”
- What is the first thing we can all start doing to change the world?
- Do small things to be more giving.
- Enjoy what you do and do it with passion
- Email Richard
- Skpe: rjmorris67